"snake oil" exact phrase
votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Meta

Welcome to the Power Users community on Codidact!

Power Users is a Q&A site for questions about the usage of computer software and hardware. We are still a small site and would like to grow, so please consider joining our community. We are looking forward to your questions and answers; they are the building blocks of a repository of knowledge we are building together.

Comments on Office suites category

Parent

Office suites category

+3
−5

A site for office suites was proposed here: https://meta.codidact.com/posts/277548. This proposal is still in early stages and unlikely to get enough support to emerge as a site of its own in the near future. Meanwhile, all such questions will end up here and we already know they will be plenty.

I propose that we create a new category "Office suites" for these kind of questions. The reason is that we simply suspect that these questions will be numerous and therefore a separate category would serve to not drown out all other questions. At this point, the majority of the questions already on the site are about office suites. Software Development wishes to migrate a considerable amount of questions regarding Excel formulas etc here, where such questions would fit in better.

When this site becomes active enough, the Office suites category can perhaps emerge into a site of its own.

Examples of what the category can contain, quoted from the above meta proposal:

• MS Office
  • a subset of Google's G Suite that includes Docs, Sheets, etc
  • Libre office and open office
  • WPS office
  • Zoho office, etc.

To translate this to abstract terms, it would mean:

• Word processing programs
  • Spreadsheet programs
  • E-mail clients
  • Publishing and presentation programs
  • Misc other programs that companies list as part of their "suite": simple DBMS, VoIP and similar.

Please vote on this question up/down if you agree or disagree with this proposal.

Things to discuss regarding overlapping scopes with Software Development:

• Is VBA (Visual Basic for Applications) on topic here? Or other such simplified, built-in script or programming languages?
  • Is DBMS design and SQL questions on topic here? Example: MS Access.

Depending on if programs like Photoshop count as part of a "suite", then there is possibly and overlaps with Photography & Video as well.

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

0 comment threads

−1

I disagree. Read the first comment of @MonicaCellio in this post. I will include some information of askubuntu in this answer also.

are questions about office suites so different from questions about other applications that tags aren't sufficient?

Actually, you are requesting to create new category for following tags/topics.

• MS Office
  • a subset of Google's G Suite that includes Docs, Sheets, etc
  • Libre office and open office
  • WPS office
  • Zoho office, etc.

Why you just want for writing softwares? What is wrong with designing(Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Premiere, Krita, and lot more)? Why you don't want to have another category for Browsers(Mozilla, Chrome, Safari)? People faces problem on them also.. Although you just want a new category for writing software. In one my Codidact meta post a staffs said that Codidact doesn't want to do as SE does. If you have visited askubuntu ever than you will see that there's lot of questions on LibreOffice writer. Even, SE has different sub-domain(different sites) for Web Applications, Latex, Ubuntu, Unix Linux, Superuser.

I requested a powerusers like site cause, there was no reason of creating different sites for each OS. And, there's million-billion software in each OS. So, Is it wise to create new categories or sites for every 100 software (Do creating new categories for per 100 software make sense)?

I am not sure which phrase is correct/better. That's why I added both which came to my mind. I would request to propose edit which is incorrect.

@Moshi had requested Software Recommendations Category. I will say that creating a new category for Software will be a good idea. But, creating a new category for writing Software only makes no sense.

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.

1 comment thread

General comments (1 comment)
General comments
Lundin‭ wrote almost 3 years ago · edited almost 3 years ago

The main reason is that if the main category contains some 95% office suite questions, then people will hesitate to ask other types of questions here. I certainly would. Currently, in this very early stage, 10 out of 26 questions (38%) are about office suites. If we migrate the 50+ excel formula questions on Software Dev here, then some 80% of this site will be about office suites. And of course another motive is to allow easier site launch of an office suite site in the future.

Skipping 1 deleted comment.