"snake oil" exact phrase
votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Welcome to the Power Users community on Codidact!

Power Users is a Q&A site for questions about the usage of computer software and hardware. We are still a small site and would like to grow, so please consider joining our community. We are looking forward to your questions and answers; they are the building blocks of a repository of knowledge we are building together.

Comments on Application check for updates will never succeed and blocks launch; can I intercept or bypass it?

Application check for updates will never succeed and blocks launch; can I intercept or bypass it?

+6
−0

I have a software application (Trope Trainer, from Kinnor Software) that I installed on my Mac (OS 10.12) several years ago. I don't use it often but it's always worked fine for me. The application uses only local storage as far as I know; cloud dependencies weren't common back when this software was written.

Last night I opened it and was greeted with a "checking for updates" message. I guess it's done that before; I don't remember, so it was probably very quick. This time, though, the check just spins. I suspect, but do not know, that the software is making some sort of call to a service run by the publisher. Unfortunately, the publisher has gone out of business and their former domain name is now for sale.

I can't just skip the update check; canceling it crashes the program with an out-of-bounds exception. (Clearly they did not anticipate being unable to check for updates.) I'd like to be able to use the program, and the first thing I would check would be whether auto-update is a user setting I can turn off.

It occurred to me that if I knew what URL the software was trying to hit, I could edit my hosts file to override it and intercept the call. I'd then need to guess what it's expecting me to send back. (I'm not quite sure how to create and send that response if I do identify it, but that's part two of the problem.)

I installed WireShark to see if I could find the outbound call that I assume it's making, but I am a complete newbie, their documentation is written for people who know more than I do, and I'm not sure how to find what I'm looking for. I set it to monitor Ethernet traffic and then started the application and let it run for a while, but I'm not sure what I'm looking for. I tried saving a "capture file", thinking this would give me a text file to search, but I don't recognize any of the file formats they offer. I searched (in WS) for the name of the publisher without success, and I don't know what their IP addresses were when they had a domain.

Am I on the right track in trying to use WireShark to find the call? If so, what should I be looking for? If not, what should I be trying instead?

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

1 comment thread

Just to see if maybe others workarounds are viable: does the app work if you are not connected to the... (2 comments)
Just to see if maybe others workarounds are viable: does the app work if you are not connected to the...
samcarter‭ wrote over 2 years ago

Just to see if maybe others workarounds are viable: does the app work if you are not connected to the internet?

Monica Cellio‭ wrote over 2 years ago

Oh wow, I didn't think of that! Disconnecting from the network allows the program to start. There's a message about how to turn off auto-updates, which turns out to be a lie -- the settings don't stick. But disconnecting from the network allows the program to launch. (I have a followup question coming about network management; unplugging the physical cable each time is inconvenient.)