"snake oil" exact phrase
votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Welcome to the Power Users community on Codidact!

Power Users is a Q&A site for questions about the usage of computer software and hardware. We are still a small site and would like to grow, so please consider joining our community. We are looking forward to your questions and answers; they are the building blocks of a repository of knowledge we are building together.

Comments on Moved to a new OS version, didn't change project source, and now Datenstrom Yellow project won't build -- how do I debug this?

Moved to a new OS version, didn't change project source, and now Datenstrom Yellow project won't build -- how do I debug this?

+3
−0

I've been using Datenstrom Yellow on a Mac running 0S 10.12.6 (Sierra) to build a personal web site (mostly a blog). The self-hosted test site (runs directly from source) and the build (generated site for deployment) work fine. I have a "home" area and a blog, and I use the Yellow extensions for sidebar, search, contact, feed (RSS), and sitemap. I'm using the Berlin theme, as required for the blog tools.

I've just moved to a Mac running 11.6 (Big Sur). When I run the self-hosted test site, the contact form and search pages load fine and searches work. (Contact submissions never worked in the test site, presumably because it can't send email.) Both "Contact" and "Search" are now showing up in the header alongside "Home" and "Blog" -- not what I want and a change, but there's a bigger problem I need to solve first (nd maybe that will also fix this.

When I build the static site now, I now get the following error output:

$ php yellow.php build ../build/
ERROR building location '/contact/', HTTP/1.1 500 Server error: 
Static website not supported!
ERROR building location '/search/', HTTP/1.1 500 Server error: 
Static website not supported!
Building static website 100%... done
Yellow build: 74 files, 2 errors

I didn't change any of the source files in the migration to the new machine. I did have to reinstall PHP (7.3), because the version that comes natively with Big Sur didn't have some needed extensions. I didn't knowingly make other changes, though of course things changed in the OS that might have affected dependent tools.

Yellow uses Apache to run the test site. If the errors were coming from there, I'd try to figure out Apache setup stuff. But my errors are coming in the build (even though they look like web-server internal errors), and I don't know what to make of that. Yellow is open-source, but I'm not proficient enough to understand their build. (I think it's somewhere in core.php.)

I also tried on the shell provided with my web hosting and got the same errors. It's running some flavor of Linux; the results of uname -a (with my host redacted) are:

Linux example.com 3.10.0-962.3.2.lve1.5.60.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP Fri Jul 23 07:07:00 EDT 2021 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I don't know what that means; searching for "what linux am I running?" led me to this command. According to a comment, it's RHEL 7.

How can I generate the same working site on Big Sur or that Linux system as I was able to generate on the older version of MacOS? I'm at a loss on how to debug the build errors.

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

2 comment threads

Updated Yellow? (2 comments)
Linux release (3 comments)
Linux release
Canina‭ wrote over 2 years ago

The el7 in the kernel version number indicates some version of Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 or a derivative. lsb_release -a will tell you; uname -a tells you the details about the running kernel only.

Monica Cellio‭ wrote over 2 years ago

lsb_release doesn't seem to be findable (command not found). Hmm.

Canina‭ wrote over 2 years ago · edited over 2 years ago

Monica Cellio‭ It's /usr/bin/lsb_release on Debian 11 (bullseye, current stable), which should be in any sane default $PATH. I don't have any RHEL or CentOS system to check on, but you can always try /usr/sbin/lsb_release and /sbin/lsb_release as well, just to see if they work any better. lsb_release should be perfectly safe to run; about all it does is print some distribution release information. There are also distribution-specific ways of obtaining similar information; for example, Debian ships a /etc/debian_version file that includes just that and nothing more.