"snake oil" exact phrase
votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Welcome to the Power Users community on Codidact!

Power Users is a Q&A site for questions about the usage of computer software and hardware. We are still a small site and would like to grow, so please consider joining our community. We are looking forward to your questions and answers; they are the building blocks of a repository of knowledge we are building together.

Comments on Android phone, name associated with incoming call?

Parent

Android phone, name associated with incoming call?

+4
−0

This is regarding the regular phone app that came with my Android phone. Under App Info, it says App installed from Google Play Store and version 78.0.437276706. I haven't done anything deliberate to change the phone app from what came with the phone, although there have surely been automatic updates in the 6 years or so since I got this phone.

I regularly get calls from different people in Acme Corp. They have a small set of external lines, with each individual person having their own unique internal extension. For calls to people at Acme, you have to call the main number (555) 123-4567, then enter the extension. I have 5551234567 in my contacts as Acme Corp. It used to be that when anyone called me from there, the phone would show a call from Acme Corp, as expected.

I frequently have to call Joe Shmo at Acme. To make that easier, I set up his entry in the contacts list to dial the main number followed his specific extension. That included adding a pause after the main number and before the extension. In the contact list, this is shown as "5551234567;666". That works great for calling Joe. OK so far.

The problem is that now whenever I get a call from anyone at Acme, it is shown as coming from Joe Shmo, not Acme Corp. For some reason, the phone app allways picks the match with Joe Shmo instead of Acme Corp, even though the Acme contact has the exact phone number, and Joe's the additional extension.

The question is, how do I get the phone app to show Acme Corp for all calls from (555) 123-4567 and not Joe Shmo, or anyone else I might set up with their specific extension in the future?

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

0 comment threads

−0

This problem is not generally solvable, because there is no universal "Android phone app", and that is what is responsible for showing you a particular display name.

Google supplies an open-source version of Android that can be taken and adapted by anyone to run on a particular phone. Google doesn't use it unaltered on their own phones. The larger a phone manufacturer is, the more likely they are to change or replace Android components, including the phone application.

There may be a specific answer for this version of the phone application, but there is no general answer.

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.

1 comment thread

OK, I'll add detailed app info to the question. (1 comment)
OK, I'll add detailed app info to the question.
Olin Lathrop‭ wrote almost 2 years ago

OK, I'll add detailed app info to the question.