"snake oil" exact phrase
votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Meta

Welcome to the Power Users community on Codidact!

Power Users is a Q&A site for questions about the usage of computer software and hardware. We are still a small site and would like to grow, so please consider joining our community. We are looking forward to your questions and answers; they are the building blocks of a repository of knowledge we are building together.

Comments on Why did samcarter delete my post, simply because later other websites cross posted it?

Parent

Why did samcarter delete my post, simply because later other websites cross posted it?

+0
−5

I have rewritten this post in response to samcarter's answer.

I posted, and wrote myself, https://powerusers.codidact.com/posts/287106. At the time of posting, I was unaware of any cross post. samcarter linked to subsequent verbatim cross posts on Reddit and community.teamviewer.com, but failed to stress that these cross posts appeared AFTERWARDS. We should not groundlessly presume cross posting from OP, which samcarter appears to be doing unjustly. samcarter wrote

It is hardly fair to drag other users contribution down just because you want to x-post on several sites.

but can't find the solutions you might have gotten on one of the other platforms you posted x-posted your question.

samcarter's deletion appears unjust. Users here may not control whether later other websites cross post them, so original posts here ought not be deleted simply because later other websites cross post Codidact posts.

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

2 comment threads

Did you do the cross-posting? (1 comment)
"Users here may not control whether later other websites cross post them" this would be true for site... (1 comment)
−2

I deleted the post because it was verbatim the same post as on several other sites, in particular it has been cross posted on

without any indication of other versions of the same post.

As explained in https://powerusers.codidact.com/posts/286102/286111#answer-286111 (and many comments) this is not good for this site.

1. Content which is not unique and also available on established sites is not good for the search engine ranking of codidact. This not only means that other people will less likely find your content here, it even means that other people are less likely to find the questions and answers of other codidact users, who spend considerable time and effort in creating unique and good quality content. It is hardly fair to drag other users contribution down just because you want to x-post on several sites.

At the very minimum, cross-posts should be the exception and not the rule and each version of the post should be tailored to the specific customs and needs of each community.

2. X-posting also has the risk of wasting both the time of users who might put time and effort in answering a post, which already has an answer elsewhere, as well as the time of users who might have the same problem but can't find the solutions you might have gotten on one of the other platforms you posted x-posted your question.

At the very minimum, each version of the post should include links to all other versions to make sure users can find them.

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.

1 comment thread

I responded to you in my original post. (2 comments)
I responded to you in my original post.
TextKit‭ wrote over 1 year ago

I responded to you in my original post.

Mithical‭ wrote over 1 year ago

Please don't rewrite the original post to respond to someone; it makes it harder to follow context when the original post is buried in the revision history. Comments have a 1,000 character limit and have blockquotes enabled.

I think samcarter acted reasonably in this case. The cross-posted questions on Teamviewer and Reddit look very much as if they were cross-posted, not plagiarized from here; we're small enough that it's very unlikely that someone would stumble across this site and decide to plagiarize a question to those places almost immediately.
I'd note that the Reddit account that posted this version of your question has been spending a lot of effort recently promoting Stack Exchange, which we split off of.

It looks like that account has also been x-posting posts from SE and CD, not just this one, so there's definitely something fishy going on.